Monday, April 12, 2010

Mission Inn Margarine


The Mission Inn Resort & Club is located in Howey-in-the-Hills, a little out of the way town in Lake County. The golf course dates back to 1917 and the Spanish Mediterranean architecture is worthy of an entire post by itself. I attended an outdoor wedding there this past weekend, and the entire service was held under the watchful eye of a Spanish conquistador who I believe to be Ponce de Leon himself, perched at the top of a beautiful fountain. The attention to detail throughout the entire resort was pretty amazing, and as I am obsessed with all things Ponce de Leon, I was thrilled by the molded butter at the reception in the shape of the Spanish explorer. I almost wanted to try to sneak him home, but when I wasn't looking, Mrs. Ephemera had whacked him in half spread half of poor Juan's neck onto her dinner roll.

1 comment:

  1. Decapitation aside, I don't know that the explorer would survive the Florida humidity. He'd have been a mere greasy smear by the time you got him home.

    Still, quel dommage!

    (I have always been interested in Howey-in-the-Hills, because the name has that random and whimsical quality of towns in England where you expect to find magical creatures popping out of the fog and greeting you with a charming accent.)

    ReplyDelete