Friday, May 21, 2010

Silver Springs slide


From the Vintage Ephemera archives comes this image of my mother and her mother, Marvel Jones, at Silver Springs. As a kid I was fascinated with my grandmother's attic in Michigan, (growing up in a suburban Florida ranch house, basements and attics were exotic to me.) I remember climbing up the narrow steps of the attic was like entering a time machine, as it was full of fascinating items from the past. Full of vintage ephemera. Today I sit in an attic in Florida, surrounded by stuff from Marvel's Michigan house and I wonder what she was thinking as she contemplated the underwater view at Silver Springs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rick, I'm taking a very short 3-day trip to the Tampa/Sarasota area in a few weeks to visit some ailing relatives. I'll have just a few hours for a little exploring and was wondering if you know of any cool old neon or other signs and buildings in that area worth checking out. I'm planning on seeing the Airstream Ranch east of Tampa for sure. If you'd like to email me I'm at jifm@cox.net. Thanks! Gunnar

    ReplyDelete