Saturday, January 3, 2009

Places to see in 2009


Over the holidays I visited the Harn Museum in Gainesville to see Promises of Paradise: Staging Mid-Century Miami. I was blown away by the exhibit and reminded that I really haven't spent much time in South Florida. So much great stuff to see in that part of the state, including Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle, the Coral Castle, and even the Everglades!











I also received as a gift a great book, Selling the Sunshine State by Tim Hollis. It contains vintage brochures, postcards and other ephemera of attractions and curiosities throughout Florida. And it inspired me to see even more. In my own backyard there's Big Tree Park, the Citrus Tower and Hall of Presidents. To the west I need to revisit Weeki Wachee, Tarpon Springs and Cypress Gardens. And I've never been to Homosassa Springs, Sunken Gardens, Warm Mineral Springs or Sarasota Jungle Gardens. I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment