Monday, December 15, 2008

Beat the bland
















I've lived in Central Florida, the land of transplants from other parts of the country, for over twenty years. I'm really tired of hearing "there's no culture here," or "there's no history, I miss ______." It's here, you just have to look for it. And that's half the fun.

Case in point, The Maitland Art Center. This delightful complex, created by artist Andre Smith, combines both history and art in a quirky Mayan-Deco architectural style that is unique and fun. On the Historic Register, the MAC is a vital part of our art community, providing studio space for artists, gallery space for shows and beautiful grounds for weddings and special events. It's one of those places that I see more of every time I go, because there are just so many details, you can't take them all in at one time.



No comments:

Post a Comment