Wednesday, December 24, 2008

New Deal Discovery


Today is my birthday, and my gift from my wife was a day trip. Lucky for me it was a good day of roadside exploration and I have enough material to fill a couple blogs. We drove through Kissimmee into Polk County and then explored the small town of Lake Worth, Florida. While walking around Lake Worth's cute historic downtown, I noticed the distinct Art Deco-like appearance of a vintage post office and dawned on me that there might be a New Deal mural inside. And as luck would have it there was.

"Harvest Time- Lake Wales, was painted in 1942 by Denman Fink, probably part of the Section of Fine Arts through the Treasury Department. In addition to painting other New Deal era murals in Miami, Mr. Fink was instrumental in the creation of the city of Coral Gables, Florida with his nephew George Merrick. He also reportedly designed the city gates to Coral Gables and the Venetian Pool, which is on the National Historic Register.

The Ventian Pools are closed until April, but it is at the top of the list for a 2009 roadtrip.

No comments:

Post a Comment