Friday, December 12, 2008

Cross blogging

Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right spot at the right time. I was in St. Augustine to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family and went for an early morning walk. I was sitting at the site of Mission of Nombre De Dios, the exact spot where Pedro Menendez celebrated a feast of Thanksgiving with the native Timucuan Indians ( about 55 years before the Pilgrims.) I was fortunate enough to have my camera with me because I noticed at one point the clouds seemed to frame the cross perfectly.

When I got back to Orlando, I asked my friend Erika of World's Largest Things Inc., if this 208 ft. cross was the largest in the U.S. This was her response:
"Gorgeous shot, but not the world's largest. But, this one's more attractive than the two gigantors in Groom, TX, and Effingham, IL, which seem to me to be build out of aluminum siding. 
See Groom: http://www.crossministries.net/
and Effingham: http://thecross-photo.com/The_Cross_in_Effingham_Illinois.htm"

She went on to tell me that the folks in Effingham wanted theirs to be the largest, so they made it two feet taller than the Grooms cross, but still low enough so it wouldn't need a flashing red light for aircraft. Thanks to Erika's blog at http://worldslargestthings.blogspot.com/ for inspiring this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rick......I have just read your Blog entries......so cool! I really enjoyed your writings...nature, light at this time of year and Ronnies. Oh to have the chicken soup and the neon again!
    Good stuff! ...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary, I enjoy writing about this stuff!

    ReplyDelete